Unattended Child & Child Safety
Augusta-Richmond County Public Library
UNATTENDED CHILD AND CHILD SAFETY POLICY
The Augusta-Richmond County Public Library is dedicated to providing a welcoming, safe environment to patrons of all ages; and wholeheartedly encourages children to use its facilities and services. However, the Augusta-Richmond County Public Library facilities are comprised of public buildings open to all members of the public and therefore the Library cannot be considered a safe place for unattended children. Parent, guardians, or caregivers are solely responsible for the supervision, welfare, and behavior of children in the Library.
The purpose of this policy is to inform parents, guardians, and caregivers that the Library cannot ensure their children’s safety if left unattended and to provide guidelines in the event a child is left unattended in the library.
- Library staff will not assume responsibility for the safety and well-being of any child.
- Children who are age 9 and under may not be left unattended anywhere in the Library or on the Library’s premises, including areas designated for children.
- Children who are age 9 and under must always be accompanied by a parent, guardian, or assigned caregiver who is in the immediate vicinity and within line of sight of the child. The person providing the oversight must be age 16 or over.
- Children 10 years old or older may use the Library on their own in accordance with the Patron Behavior Policy, in order to select materials, complete school assignments or attend a Library program.
- Library facilities are not designed or licensed to provide basic childcare needs or emergency care.
- Library staff may not drive children to any location, even at the request of the parent, guardian, or caregiver.
- Library staff is not responsible for the safety and well-being of children left at the Library at closing time.
Any child left unaccompanied for an extended period of time may be approached for information concerning his/her parent, guardian, or assigned caregiver’s availability and informed of the Library’s policy. If the situation continues, the appropriate law enforcement agency will be notified. If a child is left unattended at the time of closing, and attempts to reach the parent, guardian, or assigned caregiver have failed, the appropriate law enforcement agency will be called.
Approved June 23, 2014 by the Augusta-Richmond County Library Board of Trustees